Thursday, November 12, 2009

A second take; My EDH deck

I am going to show you guys one of my EDH decks. Nils posted an Mono black EDH so I thought it only right if I gave you my take on it. First off I want to say a few things about this deck and how it came to be. Once upon a time when I first started playing magic a friend of mine got the Mono black 8th edition starter deck and I got Little bashers Theme Deck from Mirrodin. After a few games Dark Banishing really got on my nerves so I started to play Mono Black so I would never have to worry about it again.

100px-ManaBI played a Mono black deck for several years and over that time acquired many of the bombs for that color. I found in MBC (Mono Black Control) removal is key and its good to have a lot of it as well as some big threats.

This is basically an Elder Dragon MBC deck, with a little versatility on the general. When my gaming store holds tournaments no two players can have the same general. I built the deck so it was not dependent on any of them. Any of the legendary creatures in this deck would make a great general because they all fit with the theme of removal and the sub themes of Graveyard recursion and BIG threats. With out further ado my deck;

Mono Black Control EDH

I am going to Highlight a few of my favorite cards and explain why they are fantastic in this deck. The first is Vendetta, its like the black Swords to Plowshares its instant speed but instead of removing it from the game it just puts it in the graveyard which is better in this deck due to the graveyard recursion.

Soul SpikeSoul Spike too, is a favorite of mine because Pitch spells are amazing and the life gain is always nice…

Rend Flesh Every once in a while you come across a card like Rend Flesh which is alright in Kamigawa but outside the block its grossly overpowered, Chill to the Bone is also another example.

Nekrataal is the old school Gatekeeper of Malakir and with first strike he is a god on the battlefield—especially with something like Hatred in this deck… I Guess i kind of have a soft spot for Hatred really, it makes it easy to win on turn 4/5 with a little ramp. Hatred is not that good when you are playing multiplayer but at the right time it can be the most powerful tool in your arsenal.

Minion of the Wastes is one of my favorite creatures in the deck I usually make him a 25/25 or something around there the game ends quickly once he hits.

Cairn Wanderer is really handy with all the removal he gets some fantastic abilities. damnation art

A lot of the other cards in the deck fit with the theme or are just too fantastic to leave out. When making EDH decks I try to add as much ramp as I can in mono black you do not have that many options but with Dark Ritual, Sacrifice, Bubbling muck you have enough to get of one of your bombs much earlier.

I also like to have tutoring in EDH for which i decked Liliana, Demonic, and Diabolic Tutor to get my damnation, Yawgmoth's Will, or even my beloved Hatred. I am not mentioning a lot of cards because it should be very obvious why they are in there. I hope you liked my MBC EDH.

Till next week,

Alden

No comments:

Post a Comment